Antistatic and Electro Static Discharge (ESD) safety shoes can conduct heat and electricity. Fortunately, this means that if the user comes into contact with electricity, the safety footwear will send the dangerous current to the ground to prevent static shock or spark.
These conductive safety shoes get commonly used in industries where the static shock is troublesome. It can cause a dangerous fire or explosion, putting all the employees and the business in danger. Antistatic and ESD safety footwear is different from EH-rated safety shoes, which protect the user from completing the electrical circuit.
Antistatic Safety Shoes vs. ESD Safety Shoes
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) shoes have similarities with Antistatic footwear.
ESD has a lower resistance range. All ESD shoes that are compliant are antistatic, but the problem is that not all antistatic shoes are ESD compliant. Below are the essential differences between the two safety shoes:
Antistatic Safety Shoes
- These shoes have a low electrical resistance between 0.1 and 1000 MegaOhm (MΩ)1.
- Norm – EN 20344: 2011 5 10
- By using antistatic safety shoes, you are preventing an accumulation of static electrical charges throughout your body. Prevention occurs by delivering these electrical charges safely to the ground. An abrupt flow of electricity gets stopped between electrically charged objects produced by the contact.
- Adequate dispelling capacity
- Tested in production 100%
ElectroStatic Discharge (ESD Shoes)
- ESD safety shoes have a resistance range that is much lower and between 0.1 and 100 (MΩ).
- Norm – BS EN 61340-4-3: 2002 (IEC 61340-4-3:2001)
- By using ESD safety shoes, you are preventing an accumulation of static electrical charges throughout your body. The delivery of these electrical charges goes safely to the ground.
- These shoes are guaranteed to avoid the abrupt flow of electricity between electrically charged objects triggered by the contact.
- 100% Tested in production
- Meager electric resistance is a guarantee in all conditions
ESD in Various Industries
Several different industries use ESD and antistatic shoes to protect the company’s equipment from electrostatic discharges. Other sectors where these work shoes get used are:
- electrical engineers
- battery manufacturing
- computer equipment manufacturing
- semiconductor manufacturing
ESD is necessary to prevent several injuries at the workplace. When there is an uncontrollable release of static charges, the following can occur:
- gas, fuel vapor2, or coal dust explosions
- failure of solid-state electronics components
For companies to protect their employees, it is crucial to ensure that they have the correct footwear, such as ESD or antistatic safety shoes.
There are different climate classes that shoes with ESD protection undergo to ensure they perform at their best. For instance, the temperature and humidity content within the shoe will affect its electrical resistance. These climate classes get divided into 1, 2, and 3.
The ESD class in climate class 1 concerns the highest temperature and the lowest humidity. When the electrical resistance is between 0.1 and 100 MΩ, the safety shoes have passed the class 1 testing. These shoes will have certified their low electrical resistance.
The three categories get distinguished by the moment of humidity, temperature, and conditioning. All testing for the ESD properties of the safety shoe’s ESD certifications gets done in a laboratory.
The safety shoes need to have less than 100 megaohms to be certified ESD. By being at this point, the climate class will get approved for the certification.
What is the meaning of safety shoes?
A steel-toed boot (safety shoe) is a resilient boot that has reinforcing protection in the toes. The reinforcement helps to shield and protect your feet from compression and tumbling items that could hurt you.
Do safety boots expire?
Yes, safety toe shoes can last from six to twelve months if you’re in a typical working atmosphere. Some safety boots will last longer than others. The critical thing to remember is that all shoes need replacement at some time.
Can you wear ESD shoes outside?
No, you must wear ESD safety shoes in protected areas for ESD. Keeping them clean will help to avoid pollutants and toxins. By doing so, you prevent these contaminants from interfering with the conductive interface and the ground.
How do you tell if shoes are ESD?
It would help if you were looking for safety shoes with the words “SD” or “ESD” mentioned in their product description. By ensuring this, they’ll be suitable for environments that are sensitive to electricity.
Companies where the static shock is a concern and a danger to the facility, must ensure their safety. Employers need to enforce their employees to wear the correct safety work boots. ESD shoes or antistatic shoes help to conduct the current into the ground to prevent static shock or spark.
By putting the correct safety measures in place, employers can have peace of mind that their workers are being kept safe.